Northern Lights in Style
From $3966 per person!
Escorted, 6 Days/5 Nights
Various departures: January 14 - April 1, 2018.
With the Northern Lights in Style spend 6 days with a small group, no greater than 16 participants! Stay in first class hotels and experience unspoiled nature, geological wonders, cultural and culinary treats and a variety of soft adventures and activities during the day. At night you search for the spectacular Northern Lights: a mysterious, multi-colored curtain of light swirling through the sky with a wondrous glow.
Or, call us at 1 844 405 0219 to get started.
Departure Dates: Jan 14, Feb 18 & 25, Mar 11, 18 & 25, Apr 1, 2018
Day 1: Welcome to Iceland (50 km/31 miles)
Individual transfer by airport shuttle bus from Keflavik Airport to Reykjavik where you spend the night at the first-class hotel Icelandair Hotel Marina in a superior room. You will be provided with ideas how to explore Iceland's capital on your own.
Accommodation in Reykjavik
Day 2: Reykjavik, Cheese & Skyr School, National Park & Fontana Steam Baths (150 km/93 miles)
At 09:00 meet the tour guide and start the exclusive program with a two-hour Reykjavik city tour. Visit to the exceptional observation tower of the Hallgrimskirkja church offering incredible panoramic views across the city. Learn about Icelandic cheese and the unique dairy product skyr, whilst having a lovely lunch in a cheese school buttery. Depart for Thingvellir National Park, a UNESCO world heritage site and stop for a wellness retreat at the Fontana thermal baths. Stay 3 nights in the luxury country hotel Grimsborgir in South Iceland. After a gourmet dinner, our expert tour guide provides you with a seminar about the Northern Lights and teaches you how to take photos of this natural phenomenon. Step into the darkness, soak in the hotel's outdoor hot tubs and check if the Northern Lights are visible. These spectacular sky-light shows are also known as the Aurora Borealis and are frequently seen in Iceland from September through April on clear and crisp nights. White and green are usually the dominant colors of Northern Lights but sometimes there are considerable color variations. They are ephemeral, however, sightings are not guaranteed.
Accommodation at Grimsborgir
Day 3: Geothermal Power, Meet the Locals & Langoustine Feast! (200 km/124 miles)
Visit Gullfoss waterfall and the nearby Geysir geothermal fields with a variety of hot springs and bubbling pools. The explosion crater called Kerid is filled with water and resembles an ancient amphitheater. Meet a local who tells us all about living in an earthquake active place with its geothermal powers and challenges. You get the opportunity to boil egg in a hot spring and taste bread baked with hot steam. Travel to seashore villages with many old and colorful houses. During a private tour around a local folk museum and a historic wooden church, have the opportunity to taste shark meat, dried fish and Brennivin (Black Death) snaps. After a nice langoustine (lobster) dinner at a nearby seashore restaurant we go outside to watch out for the magical Northern Lights before returning to the hotel.
Accommodation at Grimsborgir
Day 4: Eyjafjallajokull Volcano and Glacier Hike for beginners (280 km/174 miles)
Today, we take you out along the South coast. Travel to Seljalandsfoss waterfall which plunges over the mountain and stop at the Eyjafjallajokull Information Center where we learn about living next to a glacier and an active volcano. Nearby is Skogafoss waterfall which is 60 meters high and one of the most impressive waterfalls in the country. You can choose between a guided walk that is especially organized for beginners on a nearby glacier (total walking time is about 3 hours), or continue the bus tour to explore a black lava beach with bird cliffs. After a gourmet dinner at Hotel Grimsborgir, see a video presentation about Northern Lights as a part of the Northern Lights educational program and look out if the auroras are across the sky.
Accommodation at Grimsborgir
Day 5: Viking Ship, Crab Feast & Blue Lagoon (220 km/136 miles)
Explore the Reykjanes peninsula and see the region's many unusual geological features, hot springs, moon-like landscapes, bird cliffs, light houses and fishing villages. Visit a Viking ship and history museum that tells the story about the Viking expansion across the North Atlantic. After a unique seafood & crab feast, visit the famous Blue Lagoon for a soak in its warm geothermal water. The comfort experience package includes the use of a towel and a bathrobe, a drink of your choice and a volcano scrub or an algae mask. Enjoy a delicious lamb dinner at the Northern Light Inn.
Accommodation at Northern Light Inn
Day 6: Departure (23 km/14 miles)
Depending on your flight schedule, you may have time to visit the Blue Lagoon again or walk in the neighborhood of the Northern Light Inn Hotel before taking the airport shuttle to Keflavik Airport.
OR, book the optional 8 day/7 night tour. If interested, please inquire about specific rates and dates.
Daily Driving: Total mileage without airport transfer from day 2-5 is about 850 km (527 miles) which is an average of 212 km (132 miles) per day. You spend about 3 hours per day on the bus, depending on road conditions, traffic and daily distances. On some days the driving might be longer than on some other days.
NOTE: Itineraries may be subject to change at short notice during severe weather conditions and certain outdoor activities/day trips may be cancelled during the winter season in Iceland. In these rare cases, where situations of force majeure apply, excursions/activities cannot be refunded but the local guides will try their best to find reasonable alternatives where and whenever possible.
Your Trip Includes the Following:
- Arrival & departure airport transfer by FLYBUS Plus shuttle without guide
- Fully escorted 4-day bus tour with an English-speaking guide and 2 seats per person on the bus (Maximum group size is 16)
- 5-nights accommodation in first-class hotels, including breakfast
- 2x lunch + 4x 3-course dinner including langoustine dinner and seafood & crab feast
- Welcome cocktail at Hotel Grimsborgir and Northern Lights Cocktail at Hotel Northern Light Inn
- Entrance to observation tower at Hallgrimskirkja church in Reykjavik
- Visit and seminar at cheese & skyr school in Reykjavik
- Entrance with towel at Fontana steam baths
- Geothermal bakery bread tasting at Fontana
- Entrance to Kerid volcano crater
- Meet the locals and guided tour in Hveragerdi including egg boiling and hot steam bread tasting
- Meet the locals and private tour at folk museum and historic church in South Iceland
- Shark meat, dried fish and Brennivin (Black death) schnapps tasting
- Visit to multi-media presentation at Eyjafjallajokull Volcano Information Center
- Especially designed glacier hike for beginners
- Entrance to Viking Ship and History Museum
- Experience Comfort package at Blue Lagoon that includes entrance fee, towel, bathrobe, a drink of your choice and a volcano scrub or an algae mask
- Northern Lights program during 4 evenings with a combination of lectures, presentations, film and guided searches for the
- Northern Lights and midnight refreshments
- Use of winter & Northern Lights explorer equipment: simple non-slip snow & ice grippers spikes for shoes and a flash light that is helpful when walking in the dark and operating your photo camera at night
Single Supplement: From $721
This package is priced LAND ONLY. If you need assistance with booking your airfare, let us know and we will be happy to help you.